Sunday, February 12, 2012

This Cake

I'm not a big on cake.  I'll always try a piece, forever hopeful, but too often I encounter cake that isn't good enough to stand on its own.  Either the crumb is too dry or too greasy, or has too little flavour, causing it to rely on icing, jam layers, a spritz or wash of rum to give it what it lacks, to make it decent.

Not that these are in and of themselves bad things, I love great icing, jam layers and a little wash of rum, but I guess what I'm saying is that the CAKE isn't usually what "takes the cake" for me.  If a cake can stand on it's own, delicious even when unadorned, then you know you've got a really good base-recipe to work with.  You know the kind of cake that is absolutely moist, fluffy, and delicious?  That's the rarer kind in my experience, but those are the kind that cause me to never give up on cake, neither the eating nor the making.


This cake is that kind of cake.  Not only is it moist and packed with flavour, but as an added bonus it's flourless and uses no oil or butter.  In my mind, it is a real plus to add good recipes like this to your repertoire, ones that allow people to enjoy without worrying about gluten or dairy allergies.  I made this for the first time not too long ago, and the whole thing was gone within a day.  It knocked our socks off.  As you might notice from the picture above, the cake-crumb was just a tad TOO moist on the first run, and so I'll be tweaking the recipe, playing with it a bit to make it perfect, but just know I can't wait to share This Cake with you.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I should try something like this at home. My daughter has just been diagnosed with celiac disease, but she has a sweet tooth. We have discovered a great small restaurant called Hibiscus Café that specializes in gluten-free desserts. However, paying $6-9 for a piece of cake or a crêpe everyday is quite enough. Thanks for inspiration, I hope she will like it!

Jessica said...

It'll take me a week or two I think to get it just right (I figure one or two more test-runs ought to do it,) but I'll try to hurry it up so you're not waiting too long. :)


It's something I've been meaning to do more work with actually, desserts that exclude fewer people. I think everyone deserves delicious stuff!

Chitika