Saturday, May 28, 2011

Bulletin

Point form notes today, because I've been a little occupied of late with that whole "real life" thing.  Plus I've had the head cold of doom come to visit, and am still recovering/suffering from the lack of oxygen.

-I ran 21km the other day, and did it 11 minutes faster than last time finishing in 2h11min.

-Since then, I've been dealing with a little achilles tendinosis.  This is why (even to do a little timing-test) it's not a good idea to make a sudden increase in mileage.  Now I've got to baby the darned thing until it stops hurting and feeling like it's creaking. :(

-Abs.  Thankfully the achilles tendon is in no way related to the abdominal muscles.  I'm going to take pictures on Monday or Tuesday and compare them to see if my solid month of doing 100 crunches a day has made any noticeable difference.  I suspect it may have.

-I recently finished reading Memoirs of a Geisha.  I feel like I should have gotten around to reading that sooner, but wow - *excellent* writing.  I also polished off Dune.  Another one I've felt for a long time like I already should have read (in fact, I raided my mother's library on my last visit to Canada and pilfered a pile of books that fall into the "why haven't I read this yet?" category.)  Dune is good.  I won't say it's an extraordinary work of genius, because I've read other Sci-Fi works that I found to be far more impressive.  This said, it was good enough that I'll get around to reading the next book in the trilogy when I'm able to pilfer it from mother, and who knows, maybe then I'll feel the world Frank Herbert creates is more impressive.

-In the meantime I've begun perusing a book I purchased in Toronto, which has a large section on chocolate sculpting.  It gives me braingasms and the intense desire to finish creating a proper chocolate workspace here.
  
-Completely out of left field, and contrary to finishing a workspace here, I applied for an amazing (chocolate) job which is far enough away that I'd have to move if I got it.  I think that since I'm far away from where the job is, and that there are likely a bunch of other more-qualified candidates who'll apply, my chances are slim, but I had to take my chance nonetheless.  I'd have kicked myself for not trying.  It'd be such a good opportunity and it fit so well with my interests that even boyfriend was not fussed at all about the distance it'd put between us and was totally like "go for it, and if you get it, we'll make it work."  And then we figured out exactly how we'd do that, and it works, and it seems everyone is fine with it.  So now that I've said my little prayer into the void about it, crossed my fingers and sent off my cv and words to the effect that I'd be over the moon to work there, I'll promptly try really hard to forget about it (while checking my email daily,) so that if I hear nothing at all from them, my little heart won't feel broken.

-I got older the other day.  33.  For my birthday I drank much too much sangria.  Much too much.


And there you have it.  I have run out of brainpower, as the head-cold of doom has only allowed me clear thinking in very short bursts due to oxygen deprivation.  Now to bed for a nap.

2 comments:

S said...

Happy birthday, seems like it's been an interesting year ;). Good luck with the application!

I've also had Dune sitting on the (electronic) shelf for a while trying to find a perfect time to pick it up. And more and more people seem to declare: Dune is GOOD. I'm curious to know what the other sci-fi books you enjoyed were, though :).

Efrutik said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Sangria is a great choice to celebrate with...never too much ;)

Chitika