Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In which I remember that abs take work.

So, I pretty much haven't done a sit-up since I came to Belgium, meaning it's been more than 2 years since my abs have had a 'targeted workout' of any kind.  As it turns out my regular set of activities here haven't resulted in the lithe, firm abs I was hoping they might.  No matter how vigorously I've barbequed, drank, and strolled over the past 2 years, those lines of definition I once had have not reappeared.

I used to have nice abs, but even back then it was the result of a certain amount of work and consistency.

I suppose I've realized that I'm not getting any younger, my metabolism isn't getting any faster, and that lovely abs won't be coaxed back into being by wishful thinking or reminiscing alone.  Given that this is the case, I've decided to take measures and actually devote a small amount of time every day to my abs.  For now I've set a minimum of 100 crunches per day (10 sets of 10 crunches, with each set being a different kind of crunch in order to work a variety of muscles.)  Doing 100 crunches in this manner takes less than 5 minutes, so it's not as though I could say I don't have the time.

100 crunches isn't much, but I'm hoping this small stab at consistency will pay off with some kind of visibly encouraging result over the next month.  It's already a hundred times more than what I was doing before, so hopefully that'll add up to some kind of marginally visible difference.  If so, then I suppose I could be motivated to increase efforts, but we'll see where this first month takes me and I'll let you know how it goes.  There may be pictures, if I can bring myself to that.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

you should check this out jess. I am going to start it too!

Jessica said...

forgot the link lol http://www.twohundredsitups.com/

Jessica said...

I'll check it out, thanks :)

Jessica said...

Lol, I'll be finding out today if I need that site, actually. If I don't do 'em one day, I do double the next. Well, I haven't done sit-ups for 5 days now. Wish me luck, I may be the one doubled over in pain tomorrow after doing 600 (500 from the other days plus 100 for today) of them today. *gulp*

Jessica said...

haha don't feel bad I haven't started it either. but i did start doing my collection of jillian michaels dvds and she really hits abs hard in them. I sneezed today and thought I'd die! it hurt SOOOO bad.

Chitika