Friday, April 29, 2011

In which I am glued to BBC One.

Ok, not glued, but quite interested.  How can my colonial heart not take a bit of interest in the Royal Wedding?  I have the day off work for which I'm quite glad, and I'm just waking up with BBC One on.  All I'm missing is another anglophone to share the morning with, in which case of course I'd also be missing lovely brunch fare, and champagne and OJ (because I'll look for any excuse for that, really.)

The Royal Wedding.  Boyfriend (who's called from work after hearing something on the radio about it,) doesn't quite get it.  He thinks it's a big deal for so many of the Anglophones of the world because Kate's a commoner.  While that is I'm sure a big deal for many, how can I explain to him it's also a big sense of relief for the people of Britain and the colonies that this isn't a rushed thing, that they've been together for 10 years already, that they seem to be a happy and stable couple?

After the sad messes of Diana and Charles, and of Andrew and Fergie, the Royal family could certainly use something that seems real and stable.  It's a sense of relief and of hope in what is yes, a symbol, but also in what is one of the most active Royal Families remaining in the Western world.

The British Royals have managed to remain fairly relevant and are watched even by countries they have very little to do with, (even countries that have their own Royal Families.)  While Prince Laurent of Belgium is caught speeding in downtown Brussels and trying to scam Business-Class seats where he is supposed to fly economy, (encouraging the rest of the economy passengers to misbehave when told 'no', no less,) why wouldn't we choose to look toward something more diginified, more gracious, a Royal Family with a greater sense of service?

In any case it's very nice to see young people in love with their heads screwed on correctly, who support both tradition where it's warranted and innovation where that makes more sense.  From the public view what we can see is that as a couple and individually they know how to have fun and like to have fun, but they are also charitable and modest despite their place of extreme privilege.  I like that they still feel it's very important to use those powers of decision to clearly express their ideals and values in the ceremony as they have in how they've conducted themselves over the years.

It's certainly something my imaginary brunch guest and I could toast.  Carry on, Will and Kate, and Cheers.

1 comment:

polka-dotter said...

Here, here. To the Queen! :)

S.

Chitika