Monday, October 18, 2010

Thankful

I have two days where I should be less busy and so I'm taking the time when I've got it to update here with something slightly less crap and cursory.  There are a lot of things I'm feeling thankful for right now, including this 2-day break.  A little time to breathe and do whatever I feel like is really, really nice.  A few other things I'm feeling pretty grateful for:

"Thanksgiving dinner" was served the day before yesterday to a table of 7.  The house managed only to look as though 2 tasmanian devils had taken up residence, the alcove of doom was benevolent, and it was by and large a good dinner.  Of course, I forgot to take pictures of pretty much everything.  I did snap one of the pumpkin pie, but it hadn't yet been garnished so the photo is nothing special.  It was a very good pumpkin pie too; silky texture, mellow, sweetly spiced taste... and it paired nicely with the vanilla ice cream I made.

Yesterday I ran 21Km.  6 years ago I could do twice as much, and at a faster pace but I'm beyond glad it's even possible for me to do this now.  It's been 6 years due to a nasty knee injury that put me right back to square one as a runner.  I've had my frustrating setbacks, re-injuries, and piles of physio and cross-training.  Finally, I feel like I'm really starting to get somewhere.  It's not advisable to make jumps in training distances like I have been, but yesterday was a bit of an isolated incident; a test.  I used my run yesterday as a way to preview the areas of my body I'll have to do more training for, and to get a "worst-case" scenario kind of time for the half-marathon.  Considering my last marathon-run was 4:12, I'm not proud to have come in at 2:22 for a half yesterday, but then again, I'd thought it might be as much as 3 hours and I'm still incredibly thankful that I've gotten this far in rehabilitating my knee.  I was all smiles afterwards.

Today I'm thankful for hot showers, anti-inflammatory cream, tea and napping.  Though I'm in cocoon-mode, the sky is beckoning with a lovely shade of light-indigo and so I believe I'll be trying to shuffle myself out the door for a walk in a bit.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Chitika