Friday, August 20, 2010

Circling, hovering.

Do you know what this is?


It's my mango sorbet, churning into delicious cold-treat goodness this very moment.  We got the ice-cream maker.  I made a delicious bitter chocolate (last week,) as the inaugural flavour.

Like the first time I made my own truffles, I was too excited to remember to take pictures of the first batch of ice cream, but I'll try to photograph a scoop or two of the flavours I make from now on.

Anyhoo, I'm just killing time trying not to think about drinking the mango sorbet base before it turns into sorbet, or eating the tartiflette preparations boyfriend has made (and forbidden me to touch,) in the fridge.  If he doesn't get here soon, all bets are off though.  We're supposed to be going to his sister's, where he'll put the finishing touches on what he's already prepped in advance, stick it in the oven, and then we'll pretend for the evening as though it's not summer, because tartiflette, for those who don't know, is pretty much what makes your arteries tremble even when you think about it.  It is essentially pieces of potato smothered in cheese, cream, bacon, sautéed onions that have soaked up all the bacon-fat, and more cheese (a different kind than the first.)  Most sensible people eat this during ski-trips, or at least during the winter.  But boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend made a specific request for boyfriend's tartiflette.

*******
(later)
*******

I must say, now that boyfriend is late to come home and I've had a(hem) few spoonfuls of what he's prepped, he does make it very well.  Maybe I should have a little feature here called "cooking with boyfriend"?  I can hover around him taking photos and give you the recipe.  He doesn't cook often, and he doesn't have that big of a repertoire of dishes... but those he makes are really very good.

If he doesn't come home soon though, there will be a large crater in his tartiflette.  I'm starving, it's past 7, and he's not answering his cell.  As it is I'll probably inhale a whole bag of chips at belle-soeur's while we wait for the damned thing in the oven and drink.  *sigh*  Time to see what kind of 'snack' I can scavenge in the kitchen so I don't turn into a velociraptor and attack the neighbour's dog out of hunger.

*******
(even later)
*******

Ok.  So that was f-ed up.  After making everyone wait on him, boyfriend showed up later than the time we said we'd already be at his sister's (it takes a half-hour to get there,) and he had an armful of empty beer cans.  It took me a minute to put two and two together (because I was STARVING,) that he and his coworker had been drinking and not working late.  Which means that apparently when family and girlfriend are already waiting on you, drinking with your coworker is a priority, more than showing up on time for previously made plans?  He was drunk.  So I just told him to go.  Because I don't even care if his sister finds that kind of behaviour disgusting, but I do.  Who in their right mind does that?  And now it's just me, and the neighbour's dog won't stop barking.  Rrrrr.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I will tell you who else does that - my Scottish boyfriend! Maybe not drinking while his family waits but I have been in that position before: being told he would be back at a certain hour and then shows up three hours later.

Jessica said...

Not fun, that.

Chitika