Monday, May 3, 2010

A Lifeboat.

"Life of Pi" is an excellent book.  I've had my face buried in it the last few days, and now that I've finished it I will recommend it, solidly.  I can say this of it too: it came to me at the right time.  There is something in the story that I believe will ring a little louder for expats.  Author Yann Martel effortlessly weaves themes of family, suffering, perseverance, love, reason over fear, spirituality in many forms, the changes that can occur in the minds of the displaced, the lost and disassociated, and of hope.  The events that Piscine Molitor Patel, or "Pi", finds himself swept up in are absorbing.


I was never convinced into opening the book based on the cover, nor by the rear-cover print, and I don't want to ruin any surprises.  So I recommend you find this book, skip reading the rear cover, and give the first few pages a go, if you are like me it won't take much more than that for you to realize it's a story worth reading.  But, just in case, I'm saying that it's absolutely a story worth reading.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I read that book years ago when it came out and I LOVED it! I've since read his other books which I enjoyed but Life of Pi was definitely my favourite. Glad you enjoyed it too.

belalumo said...

I also loved this book! It definitely spoke to me as well. Will have to check out his other books now.

EFRUTIK said...

Glad you posted this review. I will definitely check out this book, I believe I heard about it about a year or so ago. Currently I am reading "The Skinny Bitch" and I'm really considering going vegan. Especially while living in the States.


-Efrutik

P.S. thank you for my citizenship congrats :) I am very humbled by the event. Currently I am in NYC and hoping to go to the Statue of Liberty for a private celebration of my life's moment :)

Bitter Chocolate said...

Sounds pretty good, I'll try to find it! Considering that I should be studying for exams, it's the perfect timing to get intrigued by some non-academic books :D

Chitika