Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mon petit vulcan

"I keep calm 
admiring the lava, 
I keep calm."   - bjork, "possibly maybe"


This verse rolls around my mind today.  Perhaps it is that like most in Europe, I've had volcanoes on the brain in some manner or other over the past few days.  Or maybe it's that this eruption matches up fairly well as far as timing goes with eruptions of other sorts.


I note that many people have been in turmoil the past few days.  The number seems high to me, disproportionate to the norm.  The volcanically-stranded travellers do not make up the bulk of this number, either, though I'm sure their anxieties contribute to the pot on the collective-unconscious level.  Double, double, toil and trouble.  We are all little volcanoes, "eruptions and disasters".  We move between dormant and active phases, but recently it seems we all have something churning, smoldering, urgently burning, seething, or boiling over.


And was that me, sputtering with indignation the other day and spewing a little black cloud of my own?  It was.  Like many other bloggers, the writing here tends to be a little self-involved.  Blow ups, and fallouts go here along with joys, absurdities and the rare informative bit.  I do realize my personal problems are really quite inane; big only to me in the moment, while I stand in my tiny epicentre, keening absurdly, some sort of reluctant drama queen.


Today the lava courses cooly, more lethargically under the crust, the ash cloud has died down, there is no spectacle.  I am distracting and distancing myself, contemplative, self-soothingly occupied with freshly baked bread, warm soft garments, internet meanderings, massive cups of herbal tea, and words, words, words.

2 comments:

EFRUTIK said...

Mon Cherie may I quote you on this ?

"We are all little volcanoes, "eruptions and disasters". We move between dormant and active phases, but recently it seems we all have something churning, smoldering, urgently burning, seething, or boiling over."

These words are timeless and to the point of the present days.

Jessica said...

go for it :)

Chitika