Monday, April 26, 2010

Is Belgium ready for The Boobquake?

Belgium is a nation that struggles with the ideas of Islam, mildly put.  There is the hubub about banning burquas, and today there may also be a hubub about BOOBS, and the unveiling of them.  We'll see though, won't we?


Today is the first ever 'Boobquake'.  This is the brainchild of American Jennifer McCreight who, a scant few days ago had the idea for women to show off their 'goods' as a response to Iranian cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi's statements that women who dressed immodestly or behaved promiscuously were to blame for earthquakes.

Yes, ladies.  Your mammaries, when improperly clothed, may be interfering with the movement of The Earth's tectonic plates, contributing to human tradgedies.  So says the cleric.  "Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes,'' Sedighi said.
"What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?'' he asked during a sermon on Friday.
"There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes." 

A Purdue University student of scientific discipline, McCreight was quite surprised at what she felt was a rather misleading declaration by the cleric.  In her blog she declared "On Monday, April 26th, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own.  Yes, the one usually reserved for a night on the town...  I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty...  With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake...  If not, I'm sure Sedighi can come up with a rational explanation for why the ground didn't rumble."


So there you have it.  An aethiest scientist proposes an experiment to test a Muslim cleric's statement.  Hell, I'll participate.  Not as an act of protest as some see this, and not because I'm some sort of joyous tart (I am in fact, fairly modest in dress most of the time,) but rather because although I'm strongly inclined to believing the whole science behind earthquakes, I'd secretly like to believe that my boobs have supernatural, earth-moving powers.  This experiment could actually prove something good, either way.  And just imagine!  If it were true and several strategically placed women stood wearing v-necks, we could move mountains, just like.... oh... um, that guy... you know the one.

So, though normally I'm not a boob-flaunter, I'm completely on-board with Jennifers idea.  In the name of trying to help settle the matter of who's right, I will later stroll to Delhaize, a more significant portion of my chest taking the breeze thanks to my lowest-necklined shirt, and most upwardly-supportive of bras.  Experiments only work really well when the sample-size of participants is significant anyways.

As for Brussels, I'm interested to see how the Boobquake idea plays out there.  Will it have travelled through the Twitterverse and media fast enough for women here to even know, and decide to display themselves a little extra today, or not?  Will women in Brussels decide that this is something worth getting behind, since it seems that there is in some parts of the city a fairly good possibility of being harassed by followers of differing religious/moral codes for 'immodest dress'?

We shall see.  I will be thrilled with either outcome given that both seem good to me ("Yeah, science still works!"  or "Awesome!  My boobs have super-powers!")

2 comments:

EFRUTIK said...

This post is hilarious!

As for bearing my "goodies", it won't be possible. The weather does no permit today of this action in my corner of the world :(

But of course WOMEN always RULE the World!

Laura and Ben said...

After a slightly stressful staff party spent batting away advances from drunk middle aged men, I've learnt that cleavage and Belgium don't really mix.

Chitika