Friday, January 22, 2010

FML

I have been working here now for 5 months.  When I started my job, introductions were not very clearly made, and in some cases not made at all.  I found that a little strange, but accepted it because it was a busy time in the hotel when I started, I wasn't sure what *was* the norm here, and I also wondered if it might not have been considered 'unimportant' for me to be introduced to others considering that for a good portion of my day I am alone or with clients, and only have light interaction with coworkers.

One of those coworkers, however, has been a regular thorn in my side.  The man spends a good 80% of his time talking about sexual matters, ogling, making innuendo, commenting on physical attributes of female colleagues, and generally behaving like a cochon (pig.)  I have tried to tolerate him and be respectful, considering that he is related to my boss, and considering that I am the outsider.  After talking with the native Belgians I know, it seems that to varying degrees, the sort of piggish behaviour which is strongly frowned upon and which often results in disciplinary followup in Canadian workplaces is (frustrated sigh) tolerated here.  This guy was definitely pushing it though.  It became difficult to listen to him, let alone to take anything he said seriously.  Today he asked me to call him "boss".  I scoffed and told him he was dreaming...

And then later I found out from another coworker, that he actually IS my boss.   Yep.  Not *just* related to my boss, but apparently they are at the same level, and he, the buffoon, the pig, is my boss too.  Fan. f-ing. tastic.
...

How is it that nobody, (not one person in 5 months,) provided me with this information?  This makes a strong case for proper introductions at work I'd say.  And while I am able to tolerate having a pig for a co-worker... can I really stomach having one for a boss?  I am at a loss for how to deal with this one.  Any advice, internets?

1 comment:

EFRUTIK said...

Jessica,

I am also on that boat with you. I am battling this situation at work and I have been working there for 5 months now but feel completely taken advantage of.

I think you should subtly tell the man off.....

Chitika