Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ma(ng)laise


I realized I'm feeling torn between the pause in the TEFL stuff and the gathering momentum on the job-hunt preparations. I don't want to lose the momentum I had on the TEFL stuff and forget all my freshly sharpened grammar-structure identification skills, and I'd rather attack my job-applications and interviews undistracted by my TEFL studies.

There's a little guilt about neglecting one important thing for the other important thing, no matter which I try to work on, and this guilt has been adding up to a lack of focus and productivity.   So, though the research and preparations for the job stuff will continue, I've decided to prioritize finishing my last modules for TEFL. If anything else should be positive pressure to blast through the remaining TEFL work, it should be my diminishing financial resources, combined with the increased prospects at finding a paying job that having the TEFL certificate will (hopefully) provide. Who knows though, after it's all said and done... maybe I'll still end up being a technician des surfaces (cleaner) or something.  Beggars can't be choosers in the end, and a first work experience in a country is still the experience other employers in that country are hoping to see you've had so they don't feel like they're taking such a big chance on you.   It still gets you out the door, practicing that other language, and seeing yet another side of the place you're in. When it's all said and done, even if the first job sucks, no job sucks worse.

No comments:

Chitika